Thursday, April 7, 2011

F IS FOR FLIGHT! A-Z CHALLENGE.

F IS FOR ...well, was going to be FRIENDS but the excuse is I'm saving up my "Friends" post for something very special: I have these Awards I have been nominated for, and I have to pass them on. But there's that word again...)  the excuse is I am building up to a very special Award ceremony. Something to rival the Academy Awards or the BAFTA. So still working on that. E was for Excuses remember!

So F IS FOR FLIGHT! 

Not this sort of flight...



... but the beauty of birds in flight.

Let these photos speak for themselves.





These days I am fascinated by birds in flight, but my Canon SX10is just isn't up to capturing their beauty fully. My efforts are puny in comparison to Jim Brandano of  http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/
His photos are so sharp, strong contrast and they capture the bird subject with natural life and vitality.

There is another thing about the gracefulness of a bird soaring in flight that to me stands out. I have always admired architecture of early stone buildings and especially churches, cathedrals and mosques. Their columns, soaring arches and vaulted ceilings remind me so much of a flock of birds with wings outstretched riding the wind.

You see what I mean.



Share/Bookmark

7 comments:

JIM said...

Jim if you took these images I am jealous...Where were you when you photographed them? I mean physically not geographically ? Thank You for your wonderful comments and link but your images are great. I would be proud to claim them as mine


http://jpweddingphotograpy.blogspot.com/2011/04/images-of-two-great-blue-herons-nest.html

Jorie Pacli said...

Stunning shots Jim especially those of the birds.... So I'll be spreading my wings and fly like a bird this time....HEHE Keep going with this challenge...Your way to go....;)

Roy Durham said...

hoot morn Jim it good to have you back and posting. very good post at that. your fotos of the gull are wonderful. thank you and god bless

Red Nomad OZ said...

Wow! That 1st bird shot is amazing - camera troubles or not!! It looks like the bird is just hanging there gracefully!

Jim said...

Hi Jim, The gannet photos were taken at Cape Kidnappers gannet colony. All the others were taken when out fishing around Cook Strait or off Kapiti Island, so on a rocking boat, taking a photo of a bird in flight is extremely difficult.So I just keep snapping away and 1 out of 10 may be in reasonable focus.

Mary Hudak-Collins livingthescripture.com said...

Jim, your photos capture the grace and beauty of these birds and architect. You should be proud of your talent. Not every one can take a photo that delivers a verbal message:)

Anonymous said...

I've always been fascinated by birds in flight, and wanted to be a bird when I was a girl. I can see the similarity between the cathedral ceilings and the wings of the birds. Nice post!